Monday, 31 October 2016 11:14

Hervormde Kerk, Scherpenisse (2016)

Church

Already in 1203 the a church was mentioned in the archives. Todays church dates from the fifteenth century.

The first details of a church or chapel of Scherpenisse date back to 1203. This church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and belonged to the deanery South Beveland and chapter of Old Minster in Utrecht. In the church were three chapels; dedicated to Saint Barbara, the Holy Cross and St. John.

Scherpenisse Hervormde Kerk

The current Reformed Church of Scherpenisse dates from the 15th century. Around 1462 a new choir was built. The aisles of the church arose probably around 1500. The aim was to build a high church tower. However, it has never been higher as it is now. The construction was halted, possibly related to a lack of funds and the floods in the 16th century as the St. Felix's Flood and the Saints flood.
The transept and the cancel of the church were so dilapidated in the 17th century that the collapse of the chancel into the church threatened the church in 1685. The situation remained poor until the mid-18th century. After stone and lime fell from the walls, the pulpit and the seats were transferred into the nave. Two years later fell debris on the pulpit, Pastor Matthias Janssen wanted to do no more in this dilapidated building. Money for the restoration of the church was missing so the choir and transept were demolished in 1753. A wall at the former separation of nave and choir now closed the church. It was a window until in the 70s of the 20th century when it was bricked. In the church there are many 17th-century objects such as the pulpit and a chandelier. The oldest gravestone dates back to 1441. The oldest of the three church bells was cast in 1484 by bell founder Sijmoen Waghevens Mechelen.
In 1971-1974 the church was restored, followed by the most recent church restoration in 2009.

First organ

Already in 1563 there was an organ, because in that year the organist is mentioned in the archives of the Church of Scherpenisse. After 1600, probably at the beginning of the 17th century, the organ was removed since it is obsolete after the Reformation. Also, in the near Tholen City the organ disappeared in that time from the church.

Current organ

In 1907 Mart Vermeulen from Woerden built a two-manual mechanical organ for the Reformed Church of Scherpenisse. The instrument had a pulldown pedal and was placed above the entrance. It is a mechanical organ with 1,044 pipes. For this, a value of f. 2500, - paid. The instrument was designed partly new and complemented by existing 18th and 19th century material of various origins. The organ was inaugurated on April 28, 1907. The top façade fields are dummy pipes, the other are speaking pipes consist of the largest pipes of the Prestant 8' and Octaaf 4'. The organ has two white angels with trumpets and center David with the harp.

The organ was renovated in 1952 and two stops of the second manual were modified: Open Fluit 4' and Vox Celesta 8' were replaced by Prestant 4' and a Nasard 2 2/3'. The first was made of new pipes, the second from the Vox Celesta. This was done by Fa. Koppejan. The bellows were connected to an electric wind machine. The foot control on the back of the organcase however were left intact. At the church restoration in 1971/74 the windchests were restored and plywood cover plates (top and bottom) were provided. For the slider sealing telescope tubes were used. Also, the trumpet was split into bass and treble. The restoration was carried out by K. B. Blank & Zn. Herwijnen in 1973. Around 1984, the mechanical tremulant is replaced with a pneumatic one.

Restoration 2016

The restoration was carried out as a preservative one. The stoplist changes of Koppejan and the pywood cover plates and the division of the Trumpet by Blank were maintained. Both the organ case and all internal parts were cleaned and where necessary treated against woodworm. The double rise bellow (224x110cm) has overall been restored including the renewal of the hinge points.

11 pictures:

The wind machine was placed in a primitive box consisting of chipboard and polystyrene. A new fan case was manufactured, placed on springs in order to minimize the transmission of motor resonance. The wind channel between the motor and bellow has been reworked. Wind channels were cleaned and checked, and if necessary completed in style.

The wind chests were transferred to the workshops in Dordrecht and there followed the first cleaning and inspection. The loose glue joints and cracks are repaired. During the latest restoration by Blank the wind chest grids were provided with sheets of plywood (10 mm, finished with oak edge). The ventil leather turned out to be in excellent condition and is therefore merely cleaned. However, the leather of the glands was worn, they are also renewed. Blank has telescopes applied as slider seals. The construction has been adjusted and the seals have been replaced by ‘Liegelind’ rings.

7 pictures:

The keydesk has been cleaned. The excess lateral play has been eliminated. All parts were checked and processed. The pins were redirected, new pressure felt pads were applied. The pedal keyboard was restored and the worn keys were replaced. The action was cleaned (mold!) and restored. The beechwood parts of the action had much active woodworm present. These have been treated or replaced. Wire work and leather nuts of the key action where renewed where necessary The stop action mechanism is cleaned and repaired, remove existing excessive backlash, torque and pivot points checked and repaired, rust from the metal swords and iron work is re-blackened. The keyboard cheeks and knobs again blackened.

8 pictures:

The pipes have been cleaned and restored: completely checked and where necessary repaired, all in style of the existing pipework and earlier repairs. The corroded or damaged pipe feet were replaced. The wooden pipes were cleaned of flaking paint, and updated. The pipe construction was checked and leaks were repaired. The leather of the stoppers was replaced if necessary and closings checked and optimized. The trumpet was completely taken apart and cleaned. Leather renewed if necessary. All parts checked and repaired, tuning wires adjusted and oxidation removed. Voicing was optimized within the existing concept of this stop.

41 photos:

After all the parts were restored, all parts repackaged and transferred to the church, the assembly could start. After completion the voicing of all pipes was leveled within the character of the concept.

 

Additional Info

  • Location: Scherpenisse
  • Activity: Restauratie
  • Stoplist:

    Hoofdwerk, C-f3
    Cornet IV Disc. *
    Prestant 8'
    Bourdon 16'
    Holpijp 8' *
    Octaaf 4'
    Quint(fluit) 3' *
    Fluit 4' *
    Octaaf 2'
    Mixtuur II-IV
    Trompet 8' Bas/Disc.

    Bovenwerk, C-f3
    Holpijp 8' *
    Viool 8'
    Fluit 4' *
    Nasard 2 2/3'
    Prestant 4'
    Piccolo 2




    Pedaal, C-d1
    pulldown to Hoofdwerk









    Couplets, etc.
    Manuaalkoppel (trede)
    Tremulant
    Ventiel

    Stops marked with * are completely or mainly from older material.

    Compount stops:

    Mixtuur II-IV
    C c0 c1 c2
    2 2/3 4 5 1/3 8
    2 2 2/3 4 5 1/3
      2 2 2/3 4
        2 2 2/3

     

    Cornet IV
    c1
    4
    2 2/3
    2
    1 3/5

Read 475 times Last modified on Friday, 06 January 2017 12:08

Search instruments

Category

Tag

Activity